Sunday, April 5, 2009

Weekly Report: Week 2, Term 2*

"Music is well-said to be the speech of angels." Thomas Carlyle
From the title page of The Boy's new History of Music notebook.

Odd, odd, this first official "full-on" LCC week. We wound up doing some things after supper in the evenings because, well, because we didn't start our day until noon. So, if the "morning" can be between 12 and 4, then the afternoon can be between 6 and 8. Just so we're clear.

Morning Subjects.
Latin:
Lively Latin I: Lessons 15 & just a smidgen of 16.
We did our double drill every day (the verb sum and our first three declensions). My daughter made the startling discovery that the 2nd Declension Neuter and the 2nd Declension Masculine differ only in the Nominative case. The boy has not yet noticed (or at least he hasn't said). So we went from Ex. 15.9, to Ex. 16.1. Lots of good stuff in there, including a review of the 2nd Punic war and new vocabulary (fun stuff: colour words).

Spelling:
Spell to Write and Read. Finished dictating M7. Tested it.
(I hate spelling).

Grammar:
The Older: Rod and Staff 4: Lesson 71 to Lesson 73
The Younger: Rod and Staff 3: (skipped Lesson 49) Lesson 50, Review 1, Review 2.

Writing:
The Older: Homer Week 2; Belling the Cat. Somehow, we didn't finish. The dictation did not go well and we just sort of stalled out.

The Younger: Aesop A Week 16; Moses on the Mountain.
Poor girl was nearly slain by this "model." Avoid this one at all costs. I wish I had pre-read it and picked something else for her. We did finish everything necessary in the workbook but in spite of four days of work, her re-write still isn't done. I'm going to let her take this week and just work on it. If she doesn't leave home, first (see below).

Math:
The Older: Started Singapore 4A.
Continuing at double pace, so he did Weeks 1 & 2. Lots of intense teaching: but I sat there and nearly read straight from the HIG and worked examples beside him with paper and pencil. The unit was on decimals and relating them to fractions: how come no one ever taught me that? (I only figured it out cause I always wanted to know my per cent on a test). As we are moving on, I feel more and more responsibility not to mess it up.

The Younger: Singapore Math 3A, week 11.
Near Mutiny. In my excitement with LCC, I sort of forgot who I was dealing with and scheduled way too much math for her to do. She did some on Tuesday and Wednesday. But then she flat out refused on Thursday. All day. We took away TV, even listening to the CD player. To no avail. However, on Friday she was OK: and it took her all day to catch up to completing the work I'd scheduled to be done by Thursday. But that was OK. When I checked, I realised that that was an entire week's worth of work according to the HIG (plus she'd done some extra Challenging Word Problems I'd assigned) so all was right with the world again. Not much else got done on Friday, though. Multiplying and dividing are exhausting.

Afternoon Subjects
Science:
i-Science Primary 4: Unit 3A: What is Air? I'd hoped to get through all of Chapter 3: in the end we did only as much as we would have done without being on the LCC plan. In fact, I didn't even do it! I left my husband in charge Tuesday evening after supper while I ran off to read magazines at the grocery store.

Canadian History Read-Aloud: Meghan's Reading Plan Unit 2: First Contact. Days 11 to 13. This is working out much better than I had hoped. It was an extremely pleasant and productive way to spend Wednesday afternoon.

History:
SoTW3: Chapter 12.
There are three long sections to this chapter on English history. And what better way to get through it on a Saturday morning than with a lick of spring cleaning! We put Weiss on the CD player in the Living room and dusted and mopped while we heard about the Long Parliament, the Rump Parliament, Poor Charles' head, Cromwell, and then the Barebones Parliament. That's as far as we got. The plague and fire of London will have to wait until next week, I'm afraid. Maybe we'll do the Dining Room/Office.
Art & Music:
I didn't manage to put together an Art History lesson on Rembrandt in time: but I did find a copy of The History of Classical Music by Beautiful Feet which I had purchased 2nd hand last September and forgotten about. So, I went to the library, found most of the books (and all we needed to get started) bought some Notebooking pages and began, tonight, yes, Sunday evening after supper. Again, I wanted to get done more than we did, but that's OK. We did Lesson 1. We're launched.

Coming Soon.
Literature:
I'm doing my darndest to pull together a small unit on Fairy Tales. My problem is, I keep stopping to read them. Must stop enjoying myself. Must work. We will start next week. We must. I'll have a post on that up soon, too.

Bible:
I have decided we're not going to do any Bible Study until I can get the Explorer's materials at the homeschooling conference in, gasp, a mere two weeks.


*or it's Week 12 since Christmas break.
From now on, I'll be following the LCC divisions of 10 week terms, 4 terms per year, starting in the new year. So, Terms 1 & 2 will be in the Spring and Summer and 3 & 4 in the Fall and Winter. "Grades" however, following public school practice "officially" flip in September.

No comments: