Wednesday, March 25, 2009

LCC, Day 1

I have no idea if there will be a Day 2, honestly, but today we got back to work for the first time in two weeks.

The first week was a scheduled break. The second was a "sick week." We're still not 100%, but I cannot "wait" any longer. We're all getting into terribly self-indulgent habits and neglecting whatever it is we should be doing.

So, today, after having read The Latin Centered Curriculum,(LCC) second edition, for the past couple of days, I decided we would do Math, Latin and Composition. Under the program these are our daily subjects (Greek is to be added in later years). They are to be done when the student is fresh and alert and take priority over all other subjects. The author of LCC, Andrew Campbell recommends that all other subjects: Geography (replaced with Logic in the later years), Science, History, Literature and Religious studies be incorporated for extended periods of time once a week, each. It is an enourmously attractive program.

I have yet to work out the nitty gritty details, but I thought I'd give the the program a go until we leave for our Provincial Homeschooling conference on April 16-18. For example, Campbell suggests that grammar need not be studied separately--learning Latin (esp. a course based on translation, rather than immersion) should be sufficient. I am not so sure--even though today taking a separate stand alone grammar course certainly seemed somewhat redundant. In Latin, we covered adjectives and diagrammed Latin sentences. In her writing model, my daughter underlined all the verbs (and thus had to review the definition of a verb, chant the linking verbs and review the helping verbs). Both children covered pronouns in their separate Rod and Staff English texts.

Today was the sort of day when you understand why it's called "grammar" school.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I read LCC for the first time last summer, and this is my first year trying to implement it. It's exciting, isn't it? I ended up keeping our English grammar program (we're also using R&S) because I've found that learning Latin is easier when you already know grammar; you don't have to struggle to memorize the grammar terms along with the new vocabulary and endings. Besides, none of the grammar we've come across in Latin is as advanced as the grammar we've learned in R&S. We'll probably do one more year of R&S (that'll get us through book 8) and then drop it.

Sorry for writing a book on your blog! (I found it through the WTM boards.) Have a great week. :)