Saturday, March 8, 2008

Our Next Poem, Perhaps?

I just read through some wonderful material on teaching poetry sent to me by Strider, a kind and knowledgeable woman at the WTM boards. In one of the documents she recommends "acting out" a poem--just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Since my son seems to want to act out his poem recitation, I thought perhaps this one, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, might give him scope for his acting abilities:

The Splendor Falls
from The Princess


The splendor falls on castle walls
And snowy summits old in story:
The long light shakes across the lakes
And the wild cataract leaps in glory.
Blow, bugle, blow, set the wild echoes flying,
Blow, bugle; answer, echoes dying, dying, dying.
O hark, O hear! how thin and clear,
And thinner, clearer, farther going!
O sweet and far from cliff and scar
The horns of Elfland faintly blowing!
Blow, let us hear the purple glens replying,
Blow, bugle; answer, echoes dying, dying, dying.
O love they die in yon rich sky,
They faint on hill or field, or river:
Our echoes roll from soul to soul,
And grow forever and forever.
Blow, bugle, blow, set the wild echoes flying,
And answer, echoes, answer, dying, dying, dying.

We've been talking about sound waves as we study the ear....

(Oh, I am an idiot. I copied and pasted this poem straight from Ambelside On-line--and the title is as you see it above. I have been reading this and trying to figure out how the "splendour" (or beauty of the Princess) relates to the bugle call. Poetry is often opaque to me, so I wasn't too worried about it. But then, I went to close the A-O page and the next poem on the list is "Tears, Idle Tears from The Princess " set out exactly the same way. Silly me, "The Princess" must either be a book or a much, much longer poem. Ok, got it now. It's a longer poem. I'm glad. I wasn't exactly sure how the bugle's blowing and the splendour falling (really falling) from the Princess fit together. Whew.)

1 comment:

Hen Jen said...

really a musical sounding poem, just lovely! I have heard the quote, "horns of elfland faintly blowing" before..nice to see the whole poem.

His "Idles of the king" is just beautiful, too. It's a long poem about King Arthur and Guinevere.