Saturday, August 30, 2008

Jeopardy! (for Science)


Science* did not go well, today.

So, as is my usual practice, I took my troubles to the WTM board. Someone suggested I play Jeopardy!

I had to go to Wikipedia to remember how it is played.


During the game, three competing contestants select clues from a game board of 30 clues divided into six categories, each clue in the form of an answer to which they must supply correct responses, each response in the form of a question. The notion of "questioning answers" is original to Jeopardy!

So, let's see.

Category: Metamorphosis**

1. For 10 points, this is the first stage of my life as an insect.
2. For 20 points, in this stage of my life, I wrap myself up and change.
3. For 30 points, I spend my youth in the water.
4. For 10 points, I gather with other males and wait for the females to notice me.
5. For 20 points, I molt and molt and molt until I become an adult.
6. For 30 points, I go through four distinct phases in my life.


Category: Defense Systems***

1. For 10 points, I change to look like my environment.
2. For 20 points, my colours say "look at me!"
3. For 30 points, I look just like another insect
4. For 10 points, I have great big eye spots which scare predators away
5. For 20 points, I smell
6. For 30 points, I shoot out hot gases at my prey.

This just might fly!

*We're doing a text by the publishing house Apologia called Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day. We're doing Chapter 10--"Insect Life and Life Styles." (strange title, actually). It covers the process of metamorphosis and defense systems (but I bet you figured that out already!)

**Answers to Metamorphosis.
1. What is larvae?
2. What is pupa?
3. What is a naiad?
4. What is a luk?
5. What is a nymph?
6. What is complete metamorphosis?

***Answers to Defenses:
1. What is crypsis? (or camouflage)
2. What is advertisement?
3. What is mimicry?
4. What is trickery?
5. What are chemical defenses?
6. What is a bombardier beetle?

How did you score?

1 comment:

Hen Jen said...

that sounds really fun, great idea. One of my favorite classes growing up, was a American history in Jr. High, our teacher would have us play "family feud" at the end of each chapter...with a desk bell to tap. It was so much fun. Things like that really help the learning go down better.