Saturday, September 27, 2008

Our New Poem.

It's recommended in the book, What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know, ed. by E.D. Hirsch. It's in The Harp and Laurel Wreath, ed. by Laura M. Berquist twice--once in the selections for the Grammar stage child and once for Rhetoric.

We need something silly. Something funny. Something different.

Jabberwocky it is!

I have bad memories associated with this poem, however. I first saw it on an English test in Grade eight or nine. We were given a stanza and asked to pick out the parts of speech! The what? And what on Earth were all these strange words? What was this thing, anyway?

I remember the teacher was shocked. Had we never done parts of speech before? "Surely, you've been taught grammar?" she may have cried. It seems to me she may have missed the point. Most of us had never heard of Lewis Carroll!


JABBERWOCKY
By Lewis Carroll


‘Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.


"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"


He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.


And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!


One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.


"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.


`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.


(from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)


PS: In the Rhetoric section, Berquist suggests parsing or diagramming the first verse.

5 comments:

drwende said...

You'd never encountered Lewis Carroll by 9th grade? No wonder you aren't impressed with public schools!

When I was in kindergarten, I memorized that poem; my mother and I used to recite it in the car, with great dramatic gusto.

Your homeschooling essay reminds me -- obviously, I wasn't homeschooled, but my parents *did* a lot of the at-home education things (reading together, including me in adult activities so I'd learn, etc.), and I don't really have a point, but this ought to make me wonder something. Feel free to suggest what.

scb said...

I love that poem! (I love strange words... I also love the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins, who does weird things with language and rhythm, but he's definitely not fifth-grader material).

How about another Lewis Carroll "You are old, Father William"... It's fun, too.

scb said...

P.S. Parsing, or diagramming a poem -- one sure way to kill any enjoyment of poetry, in my humble opinion.

Memorizing, reciting (and learning about emphasis, and making the meaning come out in your voice), learning about symbolism, painting word pictures, these are all good things -- but parsing? Shudder.

scb said...

Here's a link to "you are old, Father William"... http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/444.html

Also, if you can find (in the library?) old copies of The Canadian Children's Annual, it has some good stuff in it. I think your son (probably your daughter, too) would enjoy my aunt's poem "Mosquito in the Cabin" which is in one of the Annuals. It's also in an out of print book called "Til All the Stars have Fallen", which has a lot of Canadian poems, as well. In case you're interested.

Alana in Canada said...

How wonderful your Aunt wrote a poem which was published. I'm afraid the chances of the library carrying a copy of The Children's Own Annual are slim. They don't keep oop books.

Wende--I'm not sure where your thoughts are going--but keep having them! There is a corrolory to Hs it's called "afterschooling."