Saturday, September 13, 2008

Weekly Report, September 9-13, 2008

Week 4
Attitudes were horrible this week, mostly mine. We were sleep deprived every single day too. I went for advice and was told: On our days off, get up no later than 1/2 hour after the time we get up for school. (sigh.) But if it means happier days (eventually) it'll be worth it.

Highlight: My son's first book summary. We took a couple of days and read through the first few pages of the Remedia Publications book: Beginning Outlining. Then we tackled a book on Praying Mantises. This is what part of his outline looked like:

As you can see, it wasn't a terribly complicated book. In fact, it was perfect.

Latin:

Lively Latin: Lesson 8.1 to Ex. 8.3 This was a dense and difficult week. My complete and utter ignorance of Latin is beginning to show, too.

Spelling:

SWR: Dictated L1. Reviewed past tense endings and wrote some great sentences. I asked the kids to make them related--all about one thing. My daughter says: "You mean like a paragraph?" Well, yes. Who told her about paragraphs?

History:

SoTW2, Ch 28. Listened to both sections, did our narration pages, my son read all the relevant KHE pages (first time!). We did the Chapter test, but I forgot the timeline.
For some reason Henry the Navigator just didn't stick at all.

Writing:

Aesop A: Goldilocks and the three bears. They dictated their narrations to me at the keyboard. I ran them off for editing. This week they were to change the positions of the explanatory words (he said, she said...so that's what the program means by explanatory words!) and find three other new words for "said."

Science:

Apologia, Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day. Ch. 11 (Ants.) This was on the schedule all week. Finally I was able to cope with it at 8am Saturday morning. We took the advice to get up only 1/2 hour later than usual on days we don't get up with Dad (He's up at 5:30am on Saturdays) and it gave us lots and lots of time--even though I had plans to be somewhere at 10:30. Except for a fight about who got to use the blue playdough, it went wonderfully well.

Dictation and Copywork: 3x

Poetry.

The Splendor Falls by Tennyson. Recited 2x. I was going to give up on it, but I found my daughter singing it under her breath as she set the table last night. However, when I remarked on it, she said, "You weren't supposed to hear that." So, I'll give it one more week.

Bible: oops again.

Geography: Canada Map Book 1. pp. 6-10

Cdn. History Reading program: (see relaxed book list in side bar.)

Did Day 1, 2.
This is tough. At the end of our school day no one wants to sit and listen to me read. They'd rather dash off and do something. (I'd rather they did too.) As a bed-time program it would be perfect, but it won't fit there. Not sure what to do.

Math:
Older: multiplication drill every day and Singapore 3B: Ex. 23, Ex. 4.2 (in the appendix of the HIG), Practise 4C, and Review C.

Younger: addition drill everyday and Singapore 2A Ex. 35, 36, 37, 38 & 39.

Grammar:
Older: R&S4, Lesson 12 (we skipped 13, on purpose), 14 (two days, on purpose!) and 15.

Younger: FLL 168-172.
She still needs to write her letter out on "fancy" paper and for that I need to hook up our new printer.

All in all, a good week, though if you had asked me yesterday, I'd have said it was our worst week yet. Funny how some rest and a good day changes one's perspective.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Looks like a good week to me. Sorry you were all tired-we were like that Wednesday and got almost nothing done that day.
I had to laugh at this "You mean like a paragraph?" hehe It is amazing what they already know.
I enjoy your weekly reports-they are so easy to follow.

Alana in Canada said...

Thank you! You can see I'm not writing them daily anymore. It was great to do that in the beginning, though: really kept me on track each day!

drwende said...

On our days off, get up no later than 1/2 hour after the time we get up for school.

Yup. People with healthy sleep cycles don't sleep in on weekends but awaken naturally at about the same time as always. You'll like it once it happens.