Friday, February 22, 2008

Androcles and the Lion

Illustration by Ann & Janet Grahame Johnstone from Books Illustrated.

The Boy and I are doing the programme from Classical Writing. We started last week in Aesop A.

The program offers a model each week for a child to re-tell. They can change whatever they like, really, as long as the bones of the story is still recognizable. Essentially, it is learning to write by imitation and I think the method is marvelous.

His model this week was "Androcles and the Lion." His "assignment" when re-telling the fable was twofold.

A. To change the sentence types in the model and include all four (his grammar program, Rod and Staff 3, names the types a little more intuitively):

  1. declarative (telling)
  2. imperative (commanding)
  3. interrogatory (asking)
  4. exclamatory (exclaiming)
B. To punctuate with respect to the proper use of

  1. capitals
  2. end punctuation marks for each sentence and
  3. quotation marks.
Here is what he wrote--and typed. It is his final, polished draft.

Androcles and the Lion
By The Boy


I fled from my master to the forest. I was frightened!

What’s that? A monster!? Nay, it was merely a young lion, moaning and groaning. I wondered why. I commanded him, “Put out your paw!”
He did. I saw a huge thorn. I carefully took it out and bandaged it up quickly.

He took me to his den and fed me every day.

One day while we were separated, the soldiers found us and captured us. I was condemned to be eaten by the lions.

The lion came bounding and roaring into the arena.

It was my friend! He saw it was me. He fawned over me and licked me.

The King summoned us to him. “Tell me how this could happen, young man,” said the King. I told him the story and he set us free.

THE END

2 comments:

scb said...

That was great! Thanks!

(Did you see the Greek stuff I posted for you over on my blog?)

drwende said...

Very nice! I'm pleased with any child who can use "Nay!" in a sentence.