Wednesday, February 13, 2008

On Reading

A book patiently waiting for us to read this week.

OK, I think I finally have this figured out, more or less.

#1. Reading out loud.
The kids will read to me from whatever I pick. I like the McGuffey Readers (1920's edition) for this. 3x a week, minimum.

#2. Quiet Reading.
For the boy, this is divided into two parts:
a) History--selections from to the Story of the World, Activity Guide, corresponding chapters from Child's History of the World by Hillyer, and Famous Men of the Middle Ages by Haaren. I also have other books I pull from. I've made up a chart for him to follow each day.

b) Literature. I got this idea from one of the women at the WTM Board. I have a basket and he can read anything from this basket for 1/2 hour (or longer). He finished Mr. Popper's Penquins today (with the CD). I found Sonlight to have the most workable suggestions.

For the girl, this includes anything she can currently read.

#3. Read Alouds. I have three: one for both children, and one for each of them at bed-time.

I am so relieved to have this figured out, I can't tell you. The deal is--no screen time--at all--until the reading is done.

No comments: