Monday, February 4, 2008

A Good Day.



I was up about an hour before the kids. That's always a good way for me to start my day.

When they finally wakened, we started gently. I had their Bible verses written out in Startwrite for them to copy. I made them say the verse first, then count the commas. There were three. I asked: "How many sentences is it?" They both answered three. "What ends a sentence?" I asked. "A period" they told me. "So how many periods are there?"

"One."

The seven year old was astonished. She honestly had not noticed it was one sentence.

So, that was interesting to me. Normally, I just give them their copywork and treat it more as a penmanship excercise than a teaching tool.

Then, I had my daughter say her poem to me three times. She has the first stanza memorized already. It's amazing what a sponge a seven year old brain really is. I can't remember if my boy did his poem or not.

Then, Latin. We did the vocabulary review together, very quickly, and then turned to our lesson. Today was the story of Romulus and Remus and when my son saw that, he was about to close his book and wander off, saying "I know all about that." But, I made him stay and we learned something new: Their father was Mars and their mother Sylva. The lesson included a picture by Reubens with some questions for a picture study. When we were done, my daughter says, "What, that was latin? We're done?"

Lively Latin is a fantastic program!

Then I gave my son his math. We almost had an argument about it, but when I showed him what he needed to do, he was OK with it. My daughter ran around looking for this and that to do her piano. She finally finished her theory work and her practicing. I confess, I didn't keep as close an eye on her as I should have.

I'm not exactly sure how this happened, but my daughter missed her math. When it was time to do it, she elected to clean her room instead. That was OK. She'll do it later, after she comes home from her piano leassons tonight.

Oh yes, now I remember: I reminded my son his book report was due tomorrow. We were working on that and I didn't really have time for her math right then. That was it.

We had lunch and a small break: then it was time to review the spelling words and do the spelling test. (Something we really should have done on Friday, but oh well). Then we had another small 15 minute break. (The puppy ensures we take a lot of breaks! I've started using the timer to make sure we come back from them!)

Story of the World was next. We're continuing our introduction to Islam. Today was all about the fight Muhammad led aginst the people of Mecca. Never knew any of that before. The kids are just writing up their narrations now. (They both dictate them to me and then re-copy it into their own hand writing. I'm supposed to have my son write more of his on his own by now, but I'm not quite sure how that goes.)

Let's see, we have Grammar and typing each, Bible Study and a writing excercise to start with the ten year old that will last us the week.

Not bad, folks, not bad. The school day has only been in action for 4 1/2 hours so far. Not bad at all.

*Image from this site

4 comments:

scb said...

Well done! applause applause applause...

I like "That was Latin? We're done?" yay. Education by stealth.

I'm trying to decide whether I would rather clean my room or do my math, if I was in your daughter's situation. The answer would be "neither". So getting either done is a good thing.

Alana in Canada said...

That made me laugh--I suppose I wouldn't really do either, either. (Oh, am I tired!)

I don't know what's up with her room but it's been a real project with her lately. I'm not complaining--though I have to tell you the math was done with an awful lot of whining and crying and carrying on. It was bad, but she got it done.

thefarmersdaughter said...

Are you planning on homeschooling all the way through? What will you do when you get to a subject you don't feel comfortable doing? Do your kids have to be tested once a year? I know here some states do require a test of some sort. Sorry for the questions, but I am quite interested in this process.....

Alana in Canada said...

I plan on homeschooling all the way through. I really want totake my kids through a "great books" course when they're teenagers. Math is not my strong suit. I have learned so much along with my son--it's amazing. But, I've been looking at the future with this: there are LOTS of curricula out there that can hold my hand through algebra--or, rather, hold my son's hand! Some even come with on-line help! Science is the only one I can't see my way through--but I remember Grade 10 biology--a pond study and a thorough study of the human body. I can do that!

We do not have to test, thank goodness. You want to see a roomful of Homeschoolers fgoaming at the mouth, just mention mandatory testing! Testing is OK--but not *mandatory* testing. Happliy we do not have to participate in any of the Provincial Standardized tests that our province conducts in the public school system. Every time the homeschooling legislation is reviewed, there are folks who make sure the doors are manned and kept firmly closed against such a policy and "governmental interference."

I have been thinking of having the children take something called the "Canadian Basic Skills test"--just to get an objective handle on a few things.

Ask me lots of questions! I'm not sure what you want to know about and I'd be happy to write up a post addressing them. Just let 'er rip!