Friday, February 22, 2008

Scheduling Woes.

We took a lot of time off this fall. Ok, let's be honest. Except for a few weeks in August--we took the whole thing off. Yep, not one math book was opened, not one page of grammar recited, not, even, (much to my shame) one book read to the kids.

But we're back now. We're almost up to full speed. And the teeth knashing and hand wringing are over with, finally. So I've been working with the spreadsheet trying to figure out our schedule for the year. Here it is in two parts.

(Click on them to make them larger.)

Missing from the schedule is writing for the ten year old--Aesop A, and Latin (for both).

The first block of pink is a non-negotiable trip to Montreal--hooray! The purple is our Church's summer "camp" (or VBS program.) The other pink strips are our "weeks off"--1 every six.

These are my woes:
1) How do we have a lighter load during June and July and yet still do everything? I know, impossible, but that's really what I want.

2) We really, really need to do these science units in the summer. They're from Apologia's "Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day" and they all have to do with insects. We do not have insects here in the winter! It's one of the few benefits of having winter.

3) See all that dead space near the end of the year (near Christmas)? That's my "wiggle" room. I'd love to start new curriculum the minute we finish the last--but I think that if I don't schedule at least a few more breaks, we will all go mad. Maybe. No, definitely.

4) See all that dead space near Christmas? I know this is going to sound crazy to some of you--but I do not want to take any time off in that period. A really light schedule would be OK--but I've learned from experience--if we take a whole bunch of time off, we just don't come back.

Is that enough info?
Can you help me whip this into shape somehow?
I'd be soooooo grateful, I might even send you cookies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Move SOTW down, starting at chapter 22, as many spaces as you can. That will have you doing something during those Christmas weeks, but less, and will free up more time in summer when you want a lighter schedule.

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Rose. Your site looks interesting. I'll have to find some time and go have a look around.

drwende said...

How do your Bible studies and fiction reading relate to your Christmas lull? That's an obvious spot to ramp up the Biblical studies, which fits well with seasonal fiction like the beginning of Little Women.

(I have no idea what's considered age-appropriate reading!)

Alana in Canada said...

That's OK! Read Alouds are just that--great kids' classics they just might not read on their own because the language is a few steps removed--like Little Women, Pyle's Robin Hood and so on. It is actually recommended that you read to the kids 2 hours a day when they are "Aurelia's" age--spread out, of course. (I figure books/stories on tape count too!)

Little Women is a great suggestion, actually. Thanks.

scb said...

Speaking of "Little Women", another book I really liked when I was a kid was Louisa May Alcott's "Eight Cousins"... if you haven't read it, the basic story is about a girl who has been in a girl's school, and indoors all the time, and is not doing well (she's an orphan, of course -- authors seem to like orphans, there's more "scope for imagination" with them, to quote another book orphan). She goes to live with her elderly aunts, and her uncle (a sailor-guy) asks if he can take over her education for a while, and see how she does... You guessed it -- he homeschools her! Way back then. And gets her outside, and playing, and wearing sensible clothes, and learning by doing.

Okay, I've got to go find myself a copy of Eight Cousins and re-read it. That will likely be my book review next Saturday!)

Tonia said...

I've got no advice for your scheduling issues - I just hope you are able to work them out! I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and giving me some advice on lapbooking. Thanks so much!