Friday, February 8, 2008

I Owe This Woman--

and I've never met her. Jessica at Trivium Academy is one of those "homeschoolers for homeschoolers." She asks tough questions. She has researched and learned an awful lot--and kept track of all of it on her blog. She is on her own homeschooling journey and writes eloquently about it. And I don't think she sleeps!

So, I'm indebted to her in a general way--but also quite specifically for her "Nobility Record." It's so integral to her homeschool that I found myself feeling somewhat guilty about borrowing it and using it for my own children: but it is a remarkably powerful tool for the children--and for me.

Here's the poem.

True Nobility
by Edgar Guest.

Who does his task from day to day
And meets whatever comes his way
Believing God has willed it so,
Has found real greatness here below.

Who guards his post, no matter where,
Believing God must need him there,
Although but lowly toil it be,
Has risen to nobility.

For great and low there’s but one test:
‘Tis that each man shall do his best.
Who works with all the strength he can
Shall never die in debt to man.

This puts something like a "chore chart" into a completely different realm. I used it, though, as Jessica did; not for chores, but as a way to keep the children "on task" for their schoolwork. I made minor changes to mine. Click here if you want to see it.

The kids were a bit confused about what it meant to be "in debt" to man--until I had an example the other night. I'd fallen behind in the laundry. My husband asked for something he needed. So, at midnight, I had to run a load of laundry. Unfortunately, both children witnessed my temper as I stomped around complaining that my husband "should have told me earlier."

That wasn't the issue, of course, as I sheepishly explained to the kids the next morning. I had tasks to perform. I didn't do them. I owed Daddy his underwear.

I don't know if they got much out of that: but the poem is truly a rich resource for building diligence and responsibility. For all of us.
Thanks, Jessica.




3 comments:

scb said...

Excellent poem. I'm going to look more closely at the links -- sounds like something that can be adapted for people like me who are way past "school age", but still schooling themselves in the way of life (which is a life-long task).

Thanks.

Jessica said...

Alana,
I'm so humbled by your graciousness! I'm glad the nobility record is working for you and even better that you made it your own!

I have a friend that has 6 children and they gave me chills when they told me that their family poem was "The House by the Side of the Road" by Sam Walter Foss. They live beside a highway and they minister to everyone, especially migrant farm workers.

She inspired me to find a poem for us and in this day and age of self-indulgence and self-centeredness, this poem seems perfect. The honor and duty of fulfilling our tasks is no longer respected and that has to be gained back, not only in our own hearts but in those that witness us too.

It's such an inspiring poem, one that makes you want to reach nobility. The word nobility is such a strong one too, I don't know if you've looked it up: the quality or state of being noble in character, quality, or rank

and further, noble means: possessing outstanding qualities, possessing, characterized by, or arising from superiority of mind or character or of ideals or morals and it is synonymous with moral. How strong is that?!? Lol.

Anyways, I do sleep. I just need to cut down on my computer time. Sigh.

:) Jessica

Hen Jen said...

thank you for sharing that, I am currently in the middle of trying to make task charts and motivate my kids to finish and follow thru...something I struggle with myself. Thank you for the poem, I think we will read and memorize it too.

wandered over here from the hive board, I am enjoying your blog very much.