Saturday, February 23, 2008

Scheduling Success--I hope!

In order to lighten our summer load and prevent free-fall in December, I decided to focus on what is, for us, essential, and move around the rest. The essential Sacred Cows are: spelling, science, math, Latin and writing (for the 10 year old). I continued with Canadian History just because the timing is right, given our trip to Montreal in May. We will continue to do these throughout June and July.

I took someone's suggestion to alternate Grammar. I may play with that a bit, yet, but my son will be happy to know he gets a mid-textbook break from July 20 to August 30th. I tend to think of Grammar like Math, so it may or may not be a good idea. I may try and find a worksheet or two, something he can do in 10 minutes or so. Then again, we are continuing with the writing--and that's just grammar in practice--so we may be just fine.

As for the rest, it's fairly self-explanatory. The rush to finish SoTW and THE-HURRY-IT-UP-AND-CATCH-UP is gone. Wherever we are when my son hits Grade Nine and begins the Classical Books curriculum will be fine as long as his skills continue to grow. I have to do another spreadsheet, of course, for just that. It should be interesting. But not today.

I still have to decide on a science curriculum for the Fall and figure out our read-alouds. I still have to correlate my daughter's Bible study (Vos and Calvary Chapel) with the subjects covered in Christian Studies 1. And I need to figure out whether to speed up on our Canadian History curriculum and if so, how. Next year (2009) we'll do Provincial Facts and Geography. (Must come up with a better name for that!) The year after that, something on the structure of Governments, municipal, provincial and federal. (Maybe). But I digress.

Here is the revised schedule. Many thanks to all.

page two: Boom da da boom!

1 comment:

The Mom said...

Alana
The free math drill link (the post I wrote about it is on my old blog)here is the link http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sparkshomeschoolmom/368613/
There is 2 different ones for each grade, I don't know what math program you are using but we did the grade they just finshed. My dd is in 8th grade so she did the 7th grade dailys. HTH if not just post on my blog and I will try and help :)
blessings
Lori